Our trip to Ethiopia March 2008!

Monday, March 23, 2009

Reflections.....

So this is the week we were in Ethiopia last year. I have been thinking about it all week. Wow, so much has changed since we brought her home. When we picked Marlee up she was so quiet, babbled a lot, but had a quiet personality. I remember her sleeping almost the entire plane ride home and then we put her in her crib the first night and she slept the entire time. The time difference did not make any difference. She was very difficult to make smile at first. I look back and see how scared she was but at the time I thought it was just her personality. Now that I know Marlee, I can tell you that is not the case.

So what am I thinking about? I am really thinking about Marlee's birth father who we got to meet in Ethiopia. I am framing a picture of us with him and putting it in Marlees room. There is so much talk going around, in the adoption forum world, and some on the news about international adoption ethics. There are some heated discussions and some very valid points on both sides. All I can say is after meeting Marlee's Father, I was at peace with his wishes for her. Yes there was an interpreter and yes, they could have not told me everything but when I looked into his eyes and gave him a hug, I knew this was what he wanted. There were others who met birth family that day who did not have the same experience we did, Marlee's father was at peace with his decision, he did not have to say a word. I do frequently look at Marlees sweet face and see him, the resemblence is so great! What a blessing he has given to us, I hope he knows!

So Marlee is growing like a weed, 75th percentile for height and 40th for weight. She now is sweet but boy she will let you know when she is mad. Yes she is a woman:) We went for her late 15 month check up and the Dr. was amazed at her progress. She did her dance for her. It is quite cute, she moves her legs quickly like she is running in place and spins in circles, she likes to do this to Single Ladies by Beyonce. Docter was impressed with her ability to move her legs that quickly.

Noah and Della absolutely adore their little sis. Honestly, I have to watch them so closely because they can't take their hands off of her. Noah is doing AMAZING in school. He is in first grade and taking 2nd grade math plus ahead in reading. Della is headed to Kindergarton next year, I can't believe it. I just signed her up. The school will not know what hit them, I love that kid, her spirit is one of a kind!

On the adoption side, our homestudy has been approved. Now we send it to CIS and wait to get fingerprinted. Pray for a fast process, the website says 3 months but that is really high, I can't imagine it taking that long. We have our dossier done and taking it this week to the Sec. of State to get verified then sending it in. After that, my job is done. We don't get put in the waiting category until our CIS approval comes so it will likely be 2 months or so and then from that time 1-10 months until we find out who our boy is. After that there is about a 3 month wait to travel. Our wait will likely be on the short side but we are prepared for anything.

Well all for now!

2 comments:

Tisha Alexander said...

I met you at the Ethiopian restaurant. We are waiting for a sibling referral.

I remember the CIS website said 3 months when I was waiting for our approval too and it came in 6 weeks. So I hope that is the case for you! Good luck! The people at are our agency who are on the list for boys are getting referrals much quicker than the ones waiting for girls.

Kristin said...

Sounds like Marlee is growing like a weed! That's so awesome! Our CIS approval came in about 4 weeks...so I bet it won't take the full 3 months. You have a such a beautiful family!